Skip to main content

Treating Yourself

So, tonight my boyfriend had wanted me to go with him to a friend's house. Sounds great right? Sure. But, I don't play video games. Why would that matter? Well, it is essentially guy's night and they will be playing all sorts of video games. I was told there would be a few other women there, but they all play video games. I would be forced to sit and watch, which next to nothing to contribute to conversation, or play and be horrible.

Well, I chose option B. I decided to stay home. I wanted to work on a couple of blogs and see if I would be able to ear a little on-line. That was when I had the idea to spend time on myself. I have been working two jobs for the last five years and this past year has been particularly brutal. The majority of the year at my full-time job I have been working overtime. I feel spent. I feel like I am running a marathon at the olympics and have fallen just a half mile before the finish line. I can see the end, but I am struggling to finish the race.

I really felt that my lightbulb idea was just what I needed. I needed to spend a night on myself. I started with an extra large apple martini. Homemade of course. I then progressed to a bubble bath, where I was able to catch up on a little reading I had been meaning to get to for months. As the warm water penetrated my aching muscles I felt completely relaxed. This was exactly what I needed.

I did a full body exfoliation, and let me tell you I don't think I have ever been able to get a closer shave. I took extra time to cleanse, tone, and moisturize my face. I know this is something I should be doing daily, but honestly there just aren't enough hours in a day to do it consistently. I was able to moisturize my entire body, which felt amazing.

My nails were in dire need of an update. I pulled out one of my most summery jamberry prints and went from there. With each nail I could feel myself getting pulled together. I also feel that it is important to note that I was still drinking my extra large martini and watching team USA compete in the olympic games. So, the fact that I was able to put my nails together and still have them look amazing deserves a gold medal if you ask me.

So, why is all of this important? Because, I needed to take a moment and do something for myself. I needed a night to just focus on me. My body was hard and tired. My mind was becoming closed off and unimaginative. I could feel me becoming less like myself. It had been so long since I had done something for me.

I know that may sound selfish. But, so what! If you won't look out for you then who will? How can you expect someone to care about you if you won't care about you? You can't. It is that simple.

Now, you don't need to spend an entire night pampering yourself. Though, it does feel amazing. Just make sure that every now and then you are making time for you. After just a few hours of focusing on me I could feel my body relax. I feel so much better. I feel rejuvenated. I feel most importantly I feel like my old self.

Burn out is a real thing, and I can tell you that it is no picnic. It takes you down a bad path and can put your head in a place where you can't find the strength to continue on. But, you can fight it. You can make it through. If you take time to do something that allows you to relax then you will get back on your path. Don't worry, the real world will be there waiting for you when you get back. But, this time you will be better armed to take it on.

If you think an hour massage at your local massage parlor will help you to unwind, I say go for it. If you think a new manicure will make you feel brand new, then I say be bold a beautiful. (If you are a fan of Jamberries or would like to try them then I recommend giving the site a gander, and this lovely lady had always been so helpful when I need to purchase a new look).
If a fancy dinner helps you to find our inner peace that I hope you find culinary exultance. And, of course, you can always try to take a nap to resort your inner peace.

No matter how you relax I hope that you remember to take the time to do it for yourself. I know that there could be many people that rely on you. But, how can you provide for them if you yourself are not at your A game.
I guess the ultimate moral of this story is that you need to stop and take a minute for yourself every now and then. Trust me, you'll be glad that you did.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Learning the Hard Way: Hurricane Matthew

I've had to learn a few thing the hard way. One of the most recent was the importance of being prepared. Normally, I am a very cautious person. I would much rather play it safe than be sorry. But, I am also good with money and don't like to spend it unnecessarily. I live in the Hampton Roads area. I know that the area is prone to flooding and I know what, typically, to expect from storms. This area isn't known for having a lot of hurricane activity, but living on the coastline, you know if can happen. I keep an eye on the weather. I don't like to be caught off guard. The flooding in front of my apartment My boyfriend and I had been watching the development of Hurricane Matthew before it was even projected to impact our area. When it looked like the storm could possible hit our area we began to plan. It was a week before the storm was forecasted to hit us and we were talking about what foods we needed to get, where we could store water, and if we should get a cam

My Most Embarrassing Moment: Part 2

If you have read part 1 (if you haven't you can find it here ) then you will know that I got unexpectedly sick while driving. And, I don't just mean that I felt really bad. I mean uncontrollably vomiting while driving late at night on my own kind of sick. My oh-so-wonderful boyfriend drove out to the empty gas station where  I was desperately trying to clean the vomit from my car. He then followed me home and took care of my dog while I tried to clean my car a little more so it wouldn't smell so bad in the morning. I know that I did not look remotely attractive. I know there were dried bits of vomit on my face, legs, and arms. I quickly looked up online how I should clean my car's interior, and found that it would not be something I could do in the dark. To help prevent unpleasant odors in the summer heat I sprinkled a generous amount of baking soda over my seat and floor. When we were finally clean we settled in to bed. Both of us were just thankful that the roads we

Pokemon Go- Round 1

Alright, so I know that you have all seen pretty much every child of the 90's is running around with their head down and glued to their phones. What exactly are they doing? Catching Pokemon of course! In case you aren't in tune with pop culture, Pokemon was a TV show that was big in the mid to late 90's. It launched several other products and a lot of people got really into the trading cards. Some of the cards, mainly the holographic Charizard and other rare cards, sold on-line for hundreds or thousands of dollars. Crazy right? Well come forward a few years. A few years too many if you ask most of my generation, and you will get to the mobile game that was released earlier this week. It was a long time coming and the hype did nothing but excite Pokemon fans until they were foaming at the mouth. You see, this was the game that we had been waiting for, for at least 15 years. Armed with our phones and wifi we can collect pokemon in our own neighborhoods. Its amazing! But,