Skip to main content

Pokemon Go- Round 1

Alright, so I know that you have all seen pretty much every child of the 90's is running around with their head down and glued to their phones. What exactly are they doing? Catching Pokemon of course! In case you aren't in tune with pop culture, Pokemon was a TV show that was big in the mid to late 90's. It launched several other products and a lot of people got really into the trading cards. Some of the cards, mainly the holographic Charizard and other rare cards, sold on-line for hundreds or thousands of dollars. Crazy right?

Well come forward a few years. A few years too many if you ask most of my generation, and you will get to the mobile game that was released earlier this week. It was a long time coming and the hype did nothing but excite Pokemon fans until they were foaming at the mouth. You see, this was the game that we had been waiting for, for at least 15 years. Armed with our phones and wifi we can collect pokemon in our own neighborhoods. Its amazing!

But, its not just collecting pokemon. You can train them at your team's gym. You can battle opposing teams. You can even influence your own pokemon to evolve when you want them to. It feels like you have stepped into the world of the pokemon and left part of reality behind.


I am sure that you have guessed by now that I have been playing along with the millions of others. I had to. My inner 90's child was jumping down at the chance to catch my very own charmander. But, do you want to know what I really like about this game? It forces the user to be active. It was designed for the user to need to walk from place to place to hunt down their pokemon, visit gyms, and restock on essentials at pokestops. Yes, it is possible to do some of these things while driving.

There is one catch though: you can't hatch pokemon eggs by driving. The eggs need to be placed in an incubator in order to hatch. But, the user must also walk in order to have their egg hatch. The user needs to walk a certain distance for each egg to hatch. The shortest I have seen at this point is 2km. That's a good distance to walk.

I love that so much people have become more active trying to catch their favorite pokemon. Just in the last few days since the game was released I have seen more people walking around. And it is also bringing people together. Its fantastic seeing so many different people coming together for a common purpose and being active. If this trend continues I think it just might help solve one of the biggest problems facing my generation: laziness.

I would not consider myself to be a lazy person. Not by a long shot. But, I do have a tendency to spend my free time on-line making a little extra income. M fitbit has helped encourage me to be a little more active each day with setting goals that I feel that I must beat. Well, the last few days I have found myself even more active just because I am trying to find more pokemon. I have taken an extra walk with my dog. I spent nearly two hours walking around in the heat of the day when it was well into the 90s just trying to get new pokemon. I normally would have stayed inside and done something more relaxing.

I feel that in the next few weeks I am going to see an impact on my health, physical appearance, and overall sense of wellbeing just by playing this game for a couple of hours each day. That's pretty cool!

I hope to continue to play, get more active, and meet more people on my pokemon adventure.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Learning the Hard Way: Hurricane Matthew

I've had to learn a few thing the hard way. One of the most recent was the importance of being prepared. Normally, I am a very cautious person. I would much rather play it safe than be sorry. But, I am also good with money and don't like to spend it unnecessarily. I live in the Hampton Roads area. I know that the area is prone to flooding and I know what, typically, to expect from storms. This area isn't known for having a lot of hurricane activity, but living on the coastline, you know if can happen. I keep an eye on the weather. I don't like to be caught off guard. The flooding in front of my apartment My boyfriend and I had been watching the development of Hurricane Matthew before it was even projected to impact our area. When it looked like the storm could possible hit our area we began to plan. It was a week before the storm was forecasted to hit us and we were talking about what foods we needed to get, where we could store water, and if we should get a cam

My Most Embarrassing Moment: Part 2

If you have read part 1 (if you haven't you can find it here ) then you will know that I got unexpectedly sick while driving. And, I don't just mean that I felt really bad. I mean uncontrollably vomiting while driving late at night on my own kind of sick. My oh-so-wonderful boyfriend drove out to the empty gas station where  I was desperately trying to clean the vomit from my car. He then followed me home and took care of my dog while I tried to clean my car a little more so it wouldn't smell so bad in the morning. I know that I did not look remotely attractive. I know there were dried bits of vomit on my face, legs, and arms. I quickly looked up online how I should clean my car's interior, and found that it would not be something I could do in the dark. To help prevent unpleasant odors in the summer heat I sprinkled a generous amount of baking soda over my seat and floor. When we were finally clean we settled in to bed. Both of us were just thankful that the roads we